What to plant, when
Crop-by-crop vegetable guides
Vegetable guide for beginners by Garden Libary: Super simple single page with everything you need to know about each vegetable from Getting started | Planting | Care | Harvesting.
Johnny’s Seeds Vegetable Library: Janette Haase’s favourite site. Great if you’d like a printable PDF for each vegetable.
Seed Savers Exchange: Astrid’s favourite site. Has everything from seed saving to crop-by-crop guides.
Make your own potting or seed starting soil
You can easily make your own seedling and container mixes. It’s a bit like making bread, you can modify the recipe based on the ingredients you have on hand!
Cover crops that nourish the soil
Cover crops crops protect soil from erosion, increase organic matter, add nitrogen, suppress weeds, provide habitat for beneficial insects, feed pollinators and improve soil structure and aeration.
- Building Healthy Soils in Vegetable Gardens: Cover Crops Have Got It Covered, Dr. Megan M. Gregory
- Food Not Lawns, How to Turn Your Yard into a Garden and Your Neighborhood into a Community, Heather Jo Flores
- From Seed to Table, A Practical Guide to Eating and Growing Green, Paperback, by Janette Haase (planning and growing techniques in the Kingston area)
- The New Northern Gardener, by Jennifer Bennett
- Working with Nature – The science and Practice of Organic Horticulture, Heide Hermary (a great foundational text)